Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Role of a Lifetime


Over the past year, I spent a lot of time thinking about my crazy busy life. Essentially, I was in way over my head with committee assignments, work projects, church tasks and everything else. I was doing too much and as a result, was not happy and was not at my best. I had to step back and ask myself, "How do I get off this crazy treadmill?"

The answer was simple. I had to cut back on what I was doing...I had to STOP. This insight is not rocket science. In fact, it's a very basic and straight-forward solution. However, it is not an easy solution. Most people struggle with "just stopping," because we are not clear about, or we are not committed to our personal priorities and goals. Once we lose sight of these critical pieces, we take any role that looks good. Problem is, every role that looks good, is not good for you.

When I work with a client, I have them complete a Personalized Role-Call Assessment. This is an exercise that helps you identify and visualize all the roles in your life. It is a powerful tool that helps my clients understand exactly why they are tired, stressed and overwhelmed. Once you see a picture of all your "hats", you can understand what is really going on in your life.

Once my clients complete the Role-Call, we spend a lot of time assessing if their roles align with their personal values, desires and goals. I ask them key questions such as:

Which role takes the most out of you?
What role(s) asks for too much from you?
Which role gives back to you the most?

Questions like these help my clients better understand their roles, and they provide the knowledge they need to make changes, if they desire, and ultimately control their lives.

Do you need help managing all your roles and their demands? Try a complimentary coaching session and experience how Working Mom Solutions can work for you.

1 comment:

  1. Oftentimes, the consequences of our life is based on our choices of action. The outside world is merely the manifestation of our inner world. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape